Skip to main content

Flowers: Women in the Family Named with Flower Names

It is very interesting that girls have been named using the words for flowers. My own grandmother was named Pansy, though she hated her name and was called Pansy only by her immediate family, but not by her friends or co-workers. Her married name was Johnston, so she was called Johnnie for many years. After my grandfather died, she changed the spelling to Joni. Below are members of my family with flower names:

  • Pansy Louise Johnston, (1913-2013), my grandmother
  • Rose Ann Douras (1825-1901), my second great grandaunt’s husband’s sister
  • Rose Marie Streich (1889-?), my second cousin, two times removed
  • Catherine Rose Sievert (1924-1994), my third cousin, once removed
  • Violet Inez Barton (1914-2009), my second cousin, two times removed
  • Lillie Violet Hutson (1886-1898), my great grandaunt

There are several in my husband’s family that were named after flowers:

  • Rose Marie Ettel (1907-1968), husband’s first cousin, 2x removed
  • Rose Emelia Palmer (1903-1937), my husband’s granduncle’s wife
  • Adaline Rose Flynn (1853-1873), my husband’s second grandaunt
  • Patricia Rose Nielson (1933-2016), my husband’s first cousin, once removed
  • Catharine Rose Davey (1851-1932), my husbands’ great-grandaunt
  • Iris Aileen Korn (1907-1982), my husband’s second cousin, once removed’s wife
  • Iris Evelyn Hurd (1929-1982), my husband’s second cousin, once removed

I wonder if any disliked being called a flower like my grandmother, but I have no idea. Do you have any people in your family named after flowers?

#52Ancestors-Week 11: Flowers

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.



Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments