Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 14-20, 2022

I have completed one hundred five (105) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I am out and about more. We’re maskless at the History Center, Oakland FamilySearch Library, and Train Club, but I still mask up going into restaurants and the public library. I did phenology and went bird watching with the local Audubon group.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Flowers: Women in the Family Named with Flower Names
I listed the women in our family that have flower names.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What is Your Favorite Source Type? 
I wrote about how much I enjoy using city directories in my genealogy research.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
This week I attended Monday Morning at Susan’s house, where only five of us came, and the NGSQ study group on Tuesday. I'll have more meetings this coming week.

Client Work/Presentations:
I began the first session of the AppGen Foundations I course. I have fifteen students who seem very eager. I need to shorten my presentations to fit in the allocated forty minutes so there is time for the in-class activities. We did not have time for the census activity. Some have turned in their homework and I have commented on them.

Volunteer Work:
At the History Center on Tuesday, we finally got the email program working by the afternoon. Over 200 emails awaited us after nearly four weeks of it being down, so I have lots of queries to do. I took minutes at the historical society's board meeting on Thursday. We have another new board member and voted on having the website upgraded.

Own Work:
I attended the sixth class of the SLIG Academy class on writing for peer review. I was pleased that I  numbering exercise homework matched Karen’s key pretty well, except that I had follow NGSQ style while the key was Register style. The hardest part of the exercise was fitting the family together from the chaotic family story we had to work from.

Webinars Viewed:

  • California Research: California Archives by Chris Garmire
  • Preparation Tips for Writing Proof Arguments & Family Narratives by Jill Morelli

Other: I went bird watching at Valle Vista on Friday with the Mt. Diablo Audubon group and the highlight was watching an adult bald eagle fly down onto the lake over and over trying to catch a coot. He finally wore out the coot and got him. On Sunday, I went up to the Shell Ridge open space in Walnut Creek to see the fields of wildflowers. Photos are following.

Train club had a weekend show and I operated trains on from eleven to six. We had good crowds both days.

I am reading:

  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo—Finished!
  • How to Raise an Elephant by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Tractor Wars by Neil Dahlstrom
  • Research Like a Pro by Diana Elder

Photos for this week:






Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Hope your AppGen class is going well. I am enjoying mine. Gorgeous photos, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it has been good. Glad you're enjoying yours.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. Sounds like you had a busy week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.