Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Fearless Females Education

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)  It's National Women's History Month, so I'm going to use today's prompt from Lisa Alzo.  What education did your mother receive? Your grandmothers? Great-grandmothers? Note any advanced degrees or special achievements.

My mother, Lela Nell Johnston attended many elementary schools in Texas, Idaho, Oregon and California, until they moved to Walnut Creek, California, and she attended Walnut Creek Grammar School until the eighth grade, and then attended Acalanes High School for two years and Mt. Diablo High School the last two years. She did not attend college. She was very artistic. She painted and loved making crafts.

My maternal grandmother Pansy Louise Lancaster attended grammar school and high school in Stephenville, Texas. She was athletic and like playing basketball and softball. Later she played tennis and bowled. She was a very good seamstress and did alterations as a living.

My paternal grandmother Anna Maria Sullivan attended school in Anaconda, Montana until she completed high school, and then attended the Montana Normal School. She was active in athletics, glee club, and yearbook. She taught grammar school until she married and they moved to Los Angeles. After being separated from her husband and moving her family to Napa, California, she went back to school to be qualified to teach in California. She finished whatever credential classes she needed at San Francisco State and then taught school in Napa and Concord. She was also a CCD teacher.

I don’t know anything about my maternal and paternal grandmothers’ schooling. I assume they attended at least grammar school, and possibly high school.

I attended St. Peter Martyr School from first to third, Parkmead Elementary to sixth, Parkmead Intermediate to eighth, and Las Lomas High School. I attended California State University, Hayward and received a BS in Biological Sciences. I returned later for a teaching credential and also a Train the Trainer certificate. If I had the money (college is expensive now), I would study history and geography and perhaps get a masters.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love that Anna Maria Sullivan went back to school to finish teacher credential classes later in life. She was ahead of her time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably a necessity. She couldn't teach in California without it.

      Delete
  2. Very cool that you have this 1952 BA diploma from your grandma! I see the diploma calls her "Anne" but you know her as "Anna." Mistake on the part of the college?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.