Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 21-27, 2022

I have completed one hundred six (106) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I was out more this week around other strangers. I ate at two restaurants and visited a grocery store without a mask. I also did phenology and went hiking with my Friday group.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Joined Together: Finding & Transcribing Marriage Records
I compared boiler plate language in a variety of marriage records.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your Fearless Females Education
I wrote about my, my mother, and my grandmothers’ education.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
I attended few meetings and study groups this week. On Tuesday, a small group met to discuss our start up meeting re-organizing the APG NorCal chapter, which will be next week. Our AppGen founders meeting was this week and so far, our classes are going well. Three of us met on Friday at the Peer Group and spoke about our current research and writing efforts.

Client Work/Presentations:
I began the second session of the AppGen Foundations I course. I did better with the time management and had time for both in-class exercises. After discussing the homework, I know that I will need to give examples of source citations for the various kinds of sources I introduce. I spent several hours commenting on their homework.

Volunteer Work:
This week the historical society had their annual meeting on Zoom. We had a practice session on Tuesday that went well and on the day of the meeting, it went without a hitch. Only I remembered to start the recording. We’re starting to get more researchers in the center and had one there on Tuesday. I also co-hosted and really ended up hosting the CGS webinar on Tuesday afternoon when the host, Ron, had trouble logging in.

Own Work:
I attended the seventh class of the SLIG Academy class on writing for peer review. Tom Jones gave his first two lectures on source documentation and the homework was not too difficult. I began writing the case study due in two weeks and am struggling to find the best way to describe the problem and solution. Outlining didn’t seem to work. I’ll have to think it in chunks and see if that will solve my problem.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Sacramento Library: Genealogy & the Sacramento Room by Dave Munger & James Scott
  • Proof or Consequences: Change How You Approach Evidence by Gail S. Blankenship

Other: Friday, I joined the Martinez hiking group and we walked up the hills at the Nejedly Staging area. The hills were covered with purple vetch and the trail along the creek had lots of flowers.

Saturday was my birthday and I talked my husband into going to the Ruth Bancroft Garden to see what was blooming. Her garden is mostly desert plants from the southwest U.S., Mexico, Australia, and South Africa. It was very warm but I got three dozen or so shots of flowers and trees.

I ate out twice this week, once on Friday with my sisters. We tried out the Mexican restaurant La Primivera and it was good. Saturday, my husband and I ate at the Mediterranean restaurant LoKanta.

I am reading:

  • How to Raise an Elephant by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Tractor Wars by Neil Dahlstrom
  • Research Like a Pro by Diana Elder

Photos for this week:








Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You have been very busy this week with genealogy activities. Love the photos, as usual, and the cacti pix look just like our backyard wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely reminded me of the botanical garden in Phoenix, only much smaller.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.