Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of May 16-22, 2022

I have completed one hundred fourteen (114) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I was too super busy this week. On Monday, I did a court pull and then met Jacqueline at the Walnut Creek library where we worked some until lunch, which we had at a Mexican restaurant. Afterwards I want to shop, so we went to Macy and got some outfits for the upcoming trip to Sacramento and the NGS conference. Tuesday, I got a haircut before going to the history center. Wednesday was at the Oakland FamilySearch Library volunteer shift. Thursday, I had a historical society board meeting at the Museum of San Ramon. Friday, I went to Ukulele club at the senior center. Saturday, we had an outdoor book sale. On Sunday, I went to the first in-person Coast Meet, and Susan came along to sell the rest of Bill’s trains. I wore masks all those days except Monday.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Mom Made Our ClothesI wrote about my mother sewing clothes for us.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: How Many Find A Grave Entries? I was surprised to see which surnames had the most entries.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: The NGSQ study group on Tuesday was the only meeting all week.

Client Work/Presentations:
I went back to the court office to try for the two divorce records and got a bit of something but not the complete file. I don’t know if they lost it or an attorney never turned it all back in.

Volunteer Work:
At the history center, we prepared for the book sale and then had the sale on Saturday. It was tough pushing all the books out to the parking lot on library carts. Luckily, the day wasn’t too hot and the trees shaded our area in the afternoon. We had a good crowd first thing and did okay, getting rid of about half the books. There wasn’t anything to do at the Oakland FamilySearch Library so I downloaded a bunch of German church records that are normally locked from home.

Own Work:
I worked on two projects this week. One, I’m writing up a proof and bio for Ebenezer Loveless and ended up needing to write about his parents, too. I transcribed some deeds and worked on a timeline for his father.

The other project was on the Padbergs. Once I had the church records, I wrote up a research report that finally came to the conclusion on how Theresa Padberg was related to my great-great grandfather, Albert Hork. She was his housekeeper at one time and a newspaper article said they were cousins. I proved they were second cousins and found the common great-grandfather. I have a little more work to do and plan to add a supporting genealogical summary.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Maps Galore: Finding & Using Online Maps from the LOC by Annette Burke Lyttle
  • Five Wives & a Feather Bed by Mark Wentling
  • The Missing Man: Solving a Mystery with Genealogy Research by Sharon Hoyt

Other: The Coast Meet was on Sunday and I worked the auction for the last time. There were quite a few items to sell and it was nice seeing people. I wore my mask the whole time.

I am reading:

  • The Vanderbeekers: Make a Wish by Karina Yan Glaser – FINISHED!
  • The Guarded Gate by Daniel Okrent
  • The Women of the House by Jean Zimmerman

Photos for this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments