Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 9-14, 2022

This issue never got published, so it is late.

I have completed one hundred twenty-seven (127) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. Did anyone expect the pandemic to last this long? We may have Covid forever. Because a research trip to Turlock took up three of my days, I did less volunteering and more getting out in the public. The details are below.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: My 52 Ancestors post about Rootsweb Message Boards was highlighted by Friday’s Family History Finds.  

Library – Research Trip in Turlock, California. I wrote about my trip to Turlock to research in two libraries and at the historical society.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: A “New to You” Resource Helping Your Genealogy Research I don’t have a new resource online, but wrote about the joys of researching in archives and libraries to find “new to me” resources.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
Jacqueline and I met on Monday and we hosted the CGS Roundtable on Wednesday night from our hotel room.  

Client Work/Presentations:
I went up to Fairfield to do some vital record pulls for a client. I presented my farming talk to CGS on Tuesday evening.

Volunteer Work:
I opened the History Center on Tuesday again and worked on the library, entering books into the database. I am working on writing content for our new website.

I visited the El Cerrito Historical Society on Saturday in order to write an article for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s newsletter in my column “Dig in Your Own Backyard.”

I also attended a volunteer thank you dinner at the Oakland FamilySearch Library where we said goodbye to two missionaries who are returning home.

Own Work:
My own work involved research at the library archives at California State University Stanislaus, the Turlock Public Library, and the Turlock Historical Society with Jacqueline driving. I didn’t find as much as I hoped, but Jacqueline was thrilled to find high school yearbooks and city directories, and she took some photos at two cemeteries.

Webinars Viewed: none.

OtherWe helped our daughter move her stuff to storage on Sunday. It was a nice day in Santa Rosa.

I am reading:

  • They Fought Like Demons: Women Soldiers in the Civil War by Deanne Blanton & Lauren M Cook—FINISHED!
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research by Thomas Mann
  • Singin’ in the Rain: The Making of an American Masterpiece by Earl J Hess & Pratibha A. Dabholkar

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.




Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments