Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Who Is a Mysterious Person In Your Family Tree?

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1) Who is a mysterious person in the family tree you'd like to learn more about? [Thank you to Linda Stufflebean for suggesting topics!]

2)  Write your own blog post, or add your response as a comment to this blog post, in a Facebook Status post or note.

Here’s mine:

When I look at my RootsMagic software under the pedigree view, I have six blank spots at the 3x-great-parents on my father’s side.

The parents of Susanna Raduntz, who were likely from Schneidemuhl, Posen, a former German village in present-day Poland. Susana was born about 1832 and married Winzent Siewert on 10 February 1850. I do not have the original church record that the information came from—only the data. So, I don’t know if Susanna’s parents’ names were mentioned in the record. Winzent and Susanna came to the U.S. aboard the ship Johanna Elise on 23 June 1852 with a young son, August. I have searched for Raduntz in online German databases but have found nothing.

The parents of Jeremiah Sullivan, who were likely from County Cork, Ireland, as that is where many Sullivans are from. I hired a researcher many years ago and he only found two baptism records for two of their children (not the baptism of my direct ancestor). Since the Catholic church records opened online, I’ve searched for Jeremiah and his wife, but found no record that named them both.

The parents of Mary Sheehan, also likely from County Cork. Jeremiah and Mary Sullivan came to the U.S. sometime in the 1860s as they can be found in Houghton County, Michigan in the 1870 census with their U.S.-born son, Michael.

Jeremiah Sullivan was a miner and likely moved a lot as mines closed and new ones opened. Without knowing where they were, it will be difficult to search for them. It is also possible the records have been lost or never created.

Record loss in Poland is another matter as well. A third cousin of mine had a researcher conduct some research and found the marriage of Winzent and Susanna and baptism records for their children, but that is all we have.

It may be the best I get.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You do have several mysterious ancestors. I love Ireland, but I'm glad I have no Irish ancestry because finding those records seems to be quite difficult for most people. I don't envy you with that research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Germans in Poland are not much better. I sure wish I knew when they moved there are where they came from. We need a German DNA company like the British Living DNA that hints at which state your ancestors come from.

      Delete
  2. You mentioned that you don't have a copy of the original church marriage for Winzent Siewert and Susanna Raduntz, only the data. Do the church records no longer exist?

    As frustrating as Irish research is, the recent announcement of the reconstruction of the records that were destroyed in 1922 during the civil war gives some level of hope. Maybe there's something in there that will help with your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church records are likely still exists, but the researcher the cousin hired only sent the data. The cousin doesn't have the contact info anymore, so I have no idea which church.

      Delete
    2. On the Irish research, I can only hope.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.