Skip to main content

Free Space for a Burial – Davey Cemetery Plot

Both of my husband’s paternal great-grandparents, Fred Davey and Matilda Wollenweber Davey are buried in unmarked graves.

Fred was buried in 1915 at Odd Fellows Cemetery in Los Angeles, California. I have his grave location and in the summer of 1996 on my way to a model railroad convention, I visited the cemetery. I walked up and down the avenue where he was supposed to be, but did not find him. There was no office open on Sunday, so I left disappointed. After I got home, I sent a letter to the cemetery and they verified there was no tombstone. Along with the reply were brochures to purchase a tombstone. His space is still free of a marker and I took no photo.

Years later, while on vacation, we had a chance to stop by Park Cemetery in Carthage, Missouri, where Matilda Davey was buried in 1885. This time I was able to visit the cemetery office and once the woman helping me found her in their files, she got all excited. She then took us out to the gravesite. There we saw only grass. She said there are spaces for ten burials but only one has been taken. The way the deed was set up, only family can be buried there. The cemetery cannot resell the sites. So, I took some photos of the blank space and collected the papers from the office. I excitedly relayed the information to my in-laws, saying they could be buried there if they wanted. They smiled and replied they planned to be cremated and their ashes scattered.




What is sad, Fred’s brother Thomas N. Davey was supposed to ensure grave markers were made for both the sites, as he had promised Fred and Matilda’s daughter, Matilda.

#52Ancestors-Week 35: Free Space

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week on one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments