Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 29-Sep 4, 2022

I have completed one hundred thirty (130) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. Most of my outside activities involved talking walks around the neighborhood and visiting the History Center.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Free Space for a Burial – Davey Cemetery Plot. I wrote about how when visiting the cemetery of my husband’s great-grandmother, I found no tombstone marker.  

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: A Surprising Discovery. I wrote about how my 3x-great-grandfather left his wife and children and that was why I couldn’t find what had happened to them.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
I met with four groups this week: my mentee and the Certification Discussion Group on Wednesday, the monthly peer group on Friday, and the Geno Study group on Sunday. I had no other meetings.

Client Work/Presentations:
I continued working exclusively on my AppGen Foundations 2 course this week and I am about 99% finished. I’m giving it a rest and will read through it to add anything I have left out.

Volunteer Work:
I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday and Saturday, meeting both days with Tara, as we are working on text content for the new website.

I also hosted the California Genealogical Society’s Introduction to Genealogy presentation on Saturday. Jen had trouble sharing her screen on Zoom, so I shared her presentation and advanced the slides.  

Own Work:
Once I completed the Foundations course, I felt I could work on something else. I did some research on the Ada Gorrell & John N. Whitlow families. I located her death certificate at the Missouri State Archives site and some newspaper articles about her family visiting. I also found documents for their son, Woodrow Whitlow: 1950 census, St. Louis marriage record, a passenger list when he traveled to Hawaii for work, his World War II draft registration, and the obit for his wife, Mildred.

I also rewrote the research report I submitted to my writing group and sent it in again. We’ll see if my improvements meet their approval.

Webinars Viewed:

  • "Dan Bouk with Democracy’s Data: The Hidden Stories in the U.S. Census and How to Read Them" by Dan Bouk

Other: I watched a lot of U.S. Open tennis this week, but I also took walks most mornings, though the total miles of 7.13 isn’t much, I’ve tried to walk up hills and use stairs when I can. I discovered how to track my route on my Fitbit app on the phone so it’s nice to see the visual route, too.



I am reading:

  • The Birth Certificate: An American History by Susan J. Pearson
  • Singin’ in the Rain: The Making of an American Masterpiece by Earl J Hess & Pratibha A. Dabholkar

Photos for this week: Scenes from my walks.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Hard to believe 130 weeks of semi-lockdown already. Wonderful photos from your walks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fruit and flower photos! It's nice to learn another techy thing, isn't it? I finally tried Venmo this past week, but haven't tried mapping my walks .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.