Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Is Your Favorite Research Resource?

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1) What is your favorite genealogy research resource?  Not a website, but a type of record, like census, cemetery, tax, etc. Why is it your favorite?  [Thank you to Linda Stufflebean for suggesting topics!]

2)  Write your own blog post, or add your response as a comment to this blog post, in a Facebook Status post or note.

Here's mine:

I first want to say, as a dedicated genealogist who tries to adhere to the Genealogy Proof Standard (GPS), all record types are my favorite research resource.

We answered a similar question back on March 19 and I wrote about directories. My second favorite source is newspapers. Researching in newspapers has helped me add flesh to the bones of my ancestors, add historic and cultural context to their lives, and solve some genealogical research problems. Sometimes, newspapers have given me a surprise.

Besides obituaries, I search for announcements of births and marriages, employment clues, school activities and graduations, and extracurricular activities such as performing in theater or playing sports. Our ancestors were members of church groups, garden clubs, and agricultural groups. Here is a photo of two of my aunts Virginia and Lorene Hork at a Cucamonga wine festival.[1]

I have learned about the military service of family members. This has been especially important with the near-total loss of Army and Air Force service records. Newspaper articles might mention the unit they were a part of. Here we learn of the promotion of my great-uncle from First Lieutenant to Captain.[2]

Legal notices might announce the filings of probate, bankruptcy, or divorce proceedings. One of my favorite notices was about a real estate transfer. This notice led me to discover Philapena’s mother and siblings also came to the U.S.[3]

It’s been a boon for researchers that newspapers are being digitized and that OCR makes searching so easy (well most of the time, when the type is clear and sharp). However, there are so many papers that have yet to be digitized.[4] But there is hope. If a newspaper is on microfilm, it can be easily digitized. I just need to be patient and keep checking the various newspaper websites that have content. Even if you don’t subscribe to the subscription newspaper sites, their newspaper listings can be browsed. I even get emails when they add content.

So, newspapers are definitely high on my list.



[1] “Cucamonga to Hold Colorful Wine Festival Sept. 9 and 10,” The San Bernardino County Sun, 30 Aug 1939, p. 10.

[2] Stephenville Empire Tribune, 29 Oct 1943, p. 8, col. 1.

[3] “Real Estate Transfers,” Louisville Courier-Journal, 13 Jul 1901, p. 10.

[4] High on my list is the Turlock (California) Journal. I tried looking at the microfilm of the paper but it took hours to just go through one roll of film.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love the photo of the Cucamonga wine festival. We used to live in Alta Loma, which is part of today's Rancho Cucamonga. I love newspapers, too, when I can find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I love county history books (for my hubby's family tree), I agree with you that newspapers are a treasure trove for nearly every family! One of my great uncles went bankrupt at least three times...what interesting info in those notices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son lives in Rancho Cucamonga. He is the GM of the Ontario Clippers, so it was fun to see that reference. Newspapers are the best. I hope for more and more to be digitized.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.