Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Sep 5-11, 2022

I have completed one hundred thirty-one (131) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. Most of my outside activities involved talking walks around the neighborhood, visiting the History Center, and going to the train club.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

An Easy Way to Map an Ancestor’s Migration Route Using Google Maps.
I wrote about how to use Google maps’ direction feature to make migration maps. It was highlighted on Friday’s Family History Finds and Randy Seaver's Best of the Genea-blogs.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What is Your Favorite Research Resource?
I wrote about newspapers and how I use them to add to my family’s story and find historical, social, and political context.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
I met with my writer’s group on Monday and the rewrite of my research report was well-received. On Sunday, I met with my geno book club and we discussed The Lady from the Black Lagoon.

Client Work/Presentations:
I gave my Farm talk to the Boulder Genealogical Society. I was worried about the internet because it was so hot, that I ended up using my cell phone as a hot spot. I also met with Mary to discuss the status of our AppGen classes and the upcoming proposals for the Spring 2023 session.

Volunteer Work:
On Tuesday, I volunteered at the History Center. We have two new volunteers and we have gotten them started on some tasks.  On Wednesday, I went to the Oakland FamilySearch Library to volunteer. I was the only non-missionary there and it was quiet during my hours. There was no one to help.

Own Work:
Since it was quiet in Oakland, I was able to download some German civil records that I found at My Heritage. I need to process them next and enter the information into RootsMagic.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Delivering the Mail: Records of the Post Office by Michael Strauss
  • What's Next When You're Told Those Records Have Burnt by J. Mark Lowe
  • Three Siblings-One Unknown Grandfather. But Wait, Who's the Grandfather of the Grandfather? By Pam Paschke
  • Reading Chicken Scratch: Paleography Techniques for Difficult German Handwriting by Joseph B Everett

Other: I watched more U.S. Open tennis this week, getting in most of the quarter, semi, and all the finals. It was an exciting U.S. Open. I also took walks most mornings and the total miles were 10.68. It was over one hundred degrees most of the days and we had to run our window air conditioners to make it tolerable in the house.

Monday, we took a trip up to Shellville to see the Golden Gate Railroad Museum. They fired up SP 2472. We were supposed to ride behind the engine on an excursion but it was canceled due to unsafe bridge conditions. Anyway, it was over 114 degrees up there and I imagine it was even hotter in the cab of the locomotive.

I am reading:

  • The Birth Certificate: An American History by Susan J. Pearson—FINISHED!
  • Singin’ in the Rain: The Making of an American Masterpiece by Earl J Hess & Pratibha A. Dabholkar—FINISHED!
  • The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick by Mallory O’Meara—FINISHED!

Photos for this week: The sun one morning was spectacular. We had a very large tomato at one and a half pounds. It made delicious BLTs. Lastly, the steam engine we went to visit, but they had already shut it down.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. That's some tomato! Our oppressive heat finally ended after a very long, hot summer. Hope your weather has improved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.