Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 9–15, 2023

I have completed one hundred forty-nine (149) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Still raining this week, so I only got in a couple of walks between rain showers. Besides the History Center and phenology at the meadow, I ran trains at the train club for our January show over the weekend.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Favorite Photo. I posted about two photos depicting my husband and my daughter sitting on top of a tractor, about 35 years apart.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your Ten Genea-Happy Moments I wrote about the things that make genealogy happy moments.

Happy 12 Blogiversary! I started my first blog in January 15, 2011, two weeks after retiring from my job at BART. I took a class at the California Genealogical Society and the rest is history. I don’t write in this one often, as the theme is restrictive: just the ancestors of my maternal grandmother.

Meetings/Discussion Groups
This week, I met with Jacqueline and we discussed a possibility of a research trip to north Texas to research in Erath, Comanche, Rockwall, Fannin, and perhaps Titus counties. Our first task is to make a list of repositories we want to visit, to see if it is worthwhile to make the trip. The only free time we have this year is during July and August, which is a hot and humid time in Texas. Oh, well.

I attended Kinseekers Military SIG and got some tips for WWII research. Amigos only had Jacqueline and me. However, we had a nice crowd at the CGS Roundtable discussion and the time just flew by as we had good discussions.

Volunteer
I volunteered at the History Center twice this week. John helped me with the library inventory and it went much faster with his help. I went again on Thursdays to do some research query requests.

I also attended and took the meeting minutes of the Sonoma County Genealogical Society. I’m getting the hang of it now, as I’m more familiar with the others on the board, though I have never met them in person. Someday, I’m sure.

I sent out press releases for the upcoming BCG-sponsored webinar at Legacy Family Tree Webinars.

Client Work
Our AppGen leaders met with one of our contracted instructors for a post-class evaluation and feedback session. It was very productive and gave us ideas on how we can improve our instructors’ experience with AppGen.

I gave a Zoom presentation to the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society on Thursday evening and immediately the next day, got an offer to do the same presentation to a society in Arizona.

I also have received a request for a genealogy consultation and will try to schedule that soon.

Own Work
My own work this week has been focused on researching, gathering, and writing the lesson plans for my upcoming AppGen course on using probate records. I think this time, I’ll create the exercises and homework activities first, then write the lessons. It’s all outlined.

Webinars Viewed
I was too busy to watch any webinars this week.

I am reading:

  • A Bitter Truth by Charles Todd
  • Water Always Wins: Thriving in an Age of Drought and Deluge by Erica Gies

Other:
Part of being busy was spending two full days at the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society’s weekend show for the public. I operated trains from the cabs.

We also visited our daughter, Elizabeth on Monday, meeting her in Petaluma. Luckily it was a day without rain. We ate at Sol Food, outside in their patio dining area because her dog, Doobie, came, and then we walked around downtown in the evening. Thankful it didn’t rain.

Photos for this week:

Movie theater in Petaluma with real neon lights

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Also enjoyed reading Charles Todd, both Bess Crawford & Ian Rutledge books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 12th blogiversary! We both started in January, but you began 3 years before me. That's an accomplishment. I enjoy your stories and love the Monday photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.