Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Where Are Your "Close DNA Matches" Residing?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 
It's Saturday Night again -
Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is our mission this week from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing. “Come on, everybody, join in and accept the mission and execute it with precision.”

1) Judy Russell wrote Those spreading genes two weeks ago, highlighting the countries that her close DNA matches (with 20 cM or more) are currently residing, based on her Ancestry DNA matches. 

2)   On the AncestryDNA Match List page, you can select "Close Matches" in the "Shared DNA" button.  Then click on the "Location" link to see a world map with that set of matches.  You will have to count some or all of them by hand. 

3)  Can you work with your "Close DNA Matches" and find the countries that your close matches are residing in?

Here’s mine:

I have never looked at my matches this way and it is interesting that I have matches in countries on three continents: Great Britain and Germany; US., Canada, and Mexico; and Australia, and New Zealand. With the majority of them in the United States. The totals come out to:

U.S.: 553 (needed a calculator!)
Mexico: 1
Canada: 2
Great Britain: 4
Germany: 3
Australia: 1
New Zealand: 1

It seems most of my U.S. matches are from the south, which makes sense. My mother’s family have been here since colonial times. These families had many children. When I zoom in, I see the spread throughout the states.

When I blow up the map of Europe, the matches are definitely from England and Germany. I’m surprised there is no one from Ireland. My paternal grandmother was one hundred percent Irish. Could this be because Ireland doesn’t stand out in the ethnicity ranges? Or perhaps, no one from my family tested.

Can I work with this? Well, I do see two from Ontario, Canada, who might be related to my Gleeson or Tierney family. That could be a place to start.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You have way more close matches than I have. Your numbers are more like my husband's, who has many Southern lines with big families.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.