Skip to main content

Oops! Paying Attention to Details is Vital in Genealogy Research

At first, I couldn’t think of any mistakes I have made in the last thirty years of genealogy research. I’m not saying I haven’t made any mistakes—I just cannot remember them. In reviewing the database that I keep in RootsMagic, I thought to compare my records with the FamilySearch Family Tree for my Hork/Horoch line, who lived in Westphalia, Germany before my great-grandfather, Johann Anton Hork emigrated to the United States. His brother, Albert, and sister, Clementine, also emigrated. Perhaps more Horks have come, but I haven’t located them yet.

I located John Anton Hork in the FamilySearch Family Tree as the son of Joseph Heinrich Horoch and Maria Katharine Trösster.[1] Most of the entries have been made by myself or my second cousin’s wife. We are probably the only ones researching this family.

I found a major mistake in my own database as I compared the death date of Joseph Heinrich Horoch in the FamilySearch tree and my database. The tree listed his death date as 5 Oct 1847 in Oberhundem. My RootsMagic database gave the date as 5 Oct 1857 in the same location. However, when I viewed my transcription of the record, I see I recorded his death as 5 Oct 1847.

"#27, Joseph Henrich Horoch ?? in Oberhundem, ??? [his standing], 53 yr, 8 mos, 3 days, died 5 October 1847,  burial 6 Oct., died of dysentery (Ruhr)"

Yet, when I view the full page of the image record, the year written at the top is 1857.[2] Now I need to make the correction in my transcript and on the Family Search Tree entry for Joseph.

I am so glad I went looking for a mistake to write about and this one popped up! Now it is corrected.

#52Ancestors: Week 5: Oops!

This is my sixth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


[1] John Anton Hork (L4T4-1TK), Joseph Heinrich Horoch (L45Q-4QW) and Marie Katharine Troester (M7G3-5HB), FamilySearch Tree (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/L4T4-1TK : accessed 27 Jan 2023).

[2] Katholische Kirche Oberhundem (Kr. Olpe) (Oberhundem, Westfalen, Germany), "Toten 1848-1878," Joseph Heinrich Horoch, 1857, p 33; Family History Library, microfilm 1,257,843, item 3.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I've found the same kind of "oops" where my finger must have slipped a digit (pun intended). Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typos are so easy to make...I found one in an abstract I did last week while working on a blog post. I've corrected it now. As a writer I know that it's important to step away for at least a day or two, then review work to catch those typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such good advice. I'm usually anxious to get my post posted.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I recently found my grandfather's childhood home on your page! His name was Thomas Nicholas Davey, and he grew up in the Davey mansion in Missouri. It was cool to see ot looking so well. I might be a distant relative of your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you and my husband are cousins. My email address is listed below. I'd welcome a note from you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.