Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Aug 14–20, 2023

One hundred eighty (180) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19 have passed. I left the house for phenology, four trips to the History Center where I volunteer, Oakland FamilySearch Center, and to the train club for the DCC clinic and the Campbell Theatre to see a play. I also had lunch with Jacqueline in Oakland. By Saturday I had an ear and throat ache but tested negative for covid. I wore a mask in the theater to be safe

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
Jacqueline and I talked for a while on Tuesday and I attended the staff meeting of the Oakland FamilySearch Center on Friday. Later, I had a nice conversation over Zoom with Kristin about military research and teaching about it.

Genealogy Writing
I finished the preparation for the upcoming AppGen course on land research. I worked some on the article on railroad travel and on the presentation about how to leave your genealogy.

Blog Posts:
The Strength of Her Faith. For Week 33, I wrote about my great-uncle’s wife, Effa Sullivan. I have the text of the eulogy given by the parish priest at her funeral. She did a lot for their parish. This post was highlighted in the 52 Ancestors weekly email.

SNGF: Make an Ahnentafel Report. I put my father in the number one position and created the report. The first four generations were complete, but not so after that. It’s a helpful report showing you what you have in each generation.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
The four trips to the History Center involved doing library inventory with John, attending the board meeting, and continuing the inventory on Tuesday and Saturday. I am making progress, perhaps halfway done.   

Our AppGen founders meeting was on Monday and we opened registration for our fall semester on Thursday. I posted three times on my Facebook page about the registration.

At the Oakland FamilySearch Center, I helped a woman try to locate land records of her ancestor. We found some in the index, but FamilySearch had not filmed the actual volumes we needed. Steve found some interesting newspaper articles about the oil found on the man’s property and she was given the phone number to the clerk’s office to try to get the court and deed records. We also said goodbye to two missionaries who are returning home next month. They will be missed.

Webinars Viewed:

  • World War II "Internment Camps" and Mass Incarceration in the U.S. by Linda Okazaki (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • What Happened to Uncle Walter? Evidence Analysis and Correlation Uncover a Man’s Dual Identities by Sharon Hoyt (BCG/LFTWebinars)
  • Using Fold3 by Evan Wilson (live at OFSC)

Other:
There was no hike this week with the hiking group because it was in the high 90s.  

The Giants’ away games this week were disappointing. The only game they won was on Sunday. The Atlanta Braves are a very good team.  

Elaine and I attended a play at the local community theater, Campbell Theatre, called “One Slight Hitch,” a comedy farce. Mostly, it was funny.

I attended the Friends of Alhambra Creek meeting and we have lots planned for the fall. Also, the mural was approved for the overpass on Alhambra Way, so fundraising can begin.

I am reading:

  • A Taste for Vengeance by Martin Walker

Photos for this week. Three shots of plants at the Meadow where I do phenology and a sunset from the Oakland FamilySearch Center looking over the San Francisco Bay.





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments