Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jul 31–Aug 6, 2023

I have completed one hundred seventy-eight (178) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I left the house for phenology, the library to pick up a reserved book, two trips to a FamilySearch Center, and two trips to the History Center, where I volunteer. My twice-a-month trip to the Oakland FamilySearch Center also involves a trip to Whole Foods for some sushi.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
I met with Jacqueline on Monday and besides talking about our physical ailments, we talked about the research we are working on. I met with my certification mentee on Wednesday and she is making a lot of progress—seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

The writing group I lead met for the last session this summer and we reviewed one of the projects and made plans for our fall sessions. We hope to get in one session in person so we can finally meet each other.

The AppGen founders met on Monday and we are all prepared for the upcoming signup session beginning next week. I am the only one who is teaching and we have four other instructors on the schedule.

Mary and I made plans to room together in Salt Lake City for the upcoming BCG board meeting. I had thought to attend the APG PMC, but decided to come a day later and watch the Reisinger lectures instead and do some research at the FamilySearch Library. So our hotel and my flight plans have been made.

Genealogy Writing
All the handouts for the upcoming seminar at the Maine Genealogical Society in September have been completed, updated, and turned in. I still have the PowerPoint to do for the main talk.

I continued working on the article for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s newsletter on railroad travel.  

Blog Posts:
Flew the Coop: John T Flynn Ran Away to Marry? For week 31 of 52 Ancestors, I wrote about a newspaper article I found that mentioned John’s mother was trying to stop his impending marriage.

SNGF: Who Has Helped You the Most with Your Family History? I wrote about how my maternal grandmother and paternal aunts, as well as friends and professional genealogists, helped me with my research.

Sepia Saturday – School Days in Hilmar. My first time with this meme that I discovered from a Genealogy a la carte blog post. I wrote about the school class photo that my mother-in-law’s family didn’t buy because she had ducked her head and her face could not be seen.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
I went to the History Center twice this week, both times seeing Beverly. She brought in books for the library and on Saturday, brought in Andrea. It was good to see her and Scott, who also dropped by.

I also volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Center on Wednesday, but the person who wanted help on land records could not make it, so it is rescheduled for when I come again. I only volunteer twice a month.  

Webinars Viewed: none this week

Other:
I got in one walk with my husband, walked alone, and walked with the hiking group along Briones Reservoir. It might have been one of the longest we did this year.

I watched televised games of the San Francisco Giants and the US Women’s Soccer Team. Those World Cup games were tough, as they were telecasted in the middle of the night here. It was sad to see the US team lose in shoot-outs after playing so well, but no one scored during the game.

Lastly, my husband and I made more travel arrangements for our trip this fall to Maine and New York City. So many little pieces to take care of.

I am reading:

  • Fatal Pursuit by Martin Walker

Photos for this week Our hike this week was on the property of the East Bay Municipal Utility District’s Briones Reservoir.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments