Skip to main content

SNGF -- My Pedigree Fan Charts

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!





Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)  Have you made a pedigree fan chart recently?  Show us yours!  How did you do it?  Which program did you use?

Here is mine:
This is a great activity to see where I stand on extending my research back further generations. Lately, I have been focused on expanding what I know about more current ancestors and their families. These charts are showing me where I have further work to do.

I use RootsMagic and creating a fan chart is located under Publish > All Reports and Charts > Fan Chart. I have my daughters in the number one position, so I made two charts with myself and my husband as the point person. I have blocked out our vital records for privacy.

Husband’s Side
On my husband’s maternal side, I can see that I have neglected to research his maternal grandmother’s side in Swedish records. That is something I could work on. The Oakland FamilySearch Center has ArkivDigital on its computers.

On his paternal side, I have been stuck for many years on the records in Cornwall for his Davey and Nicholas lines. These are very common names in that area and the marriage records don’t always name parents. As for the Gorrell line, it’s been hard to get further back on the Milholland and Wollam lines.

My Side:
My fan chart shows that I have done well with my father’s paternal side except for the records of the Sievert family, who came to the U.S. from parts of Poland, though they were of German ancestry. My father’s maternal line is Irish and those records of the Sullivans from County Cork are nearly non-existent. I am fortunate for those Irish who went to Canada first, as I can get back a generation or two with them (until the immigrant, of course).

On my maternal side, I have done better. I have not gotten back to any immigrants, but those families from South Carolina have been troublesome for me. There are also localities with burned courthouses that I probably need to visit in person if I have any hope of extending. The lines with the most trouble are the ones with the common name: Johnston, Jones, Rodgers, and Davis.

However, if you look at the FamilySearch Family Tree, all these lines have been extended. I do not take their word for it, especially with no sources, but may use them for clues.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Wow! You finished this challenge really quickly. You've made good progress on all your family lines, although your Irish is like my Rusyn family. When there are no records, there's nowhere else to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm very jealous of those with New England ancestry and can go back to the 1600s. I'm glad to get to the late 1700s in Germany and Sweden where there are nice church records. (I needed a break from AppGen curriculum writing.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.