Skip to main content

Girl Scouting in the 60's

I'm with my brother, Steve.  I think this is end of 5th grade.

Today, March 12, 2012 is the 100th Anniversary of the founding of Girl Scouts of the USA by Juliette Gordon Low.  I joined Girl Scouts in the 5th grade in the fall of 1964.  Our troop met in the kindergarten room at Parkmead Elementary School in Walnut Creek on Thursdays after school and our leaders were teachers.  In those days, the troops were multi-grade.  Junior Girl Scouts were 4th, 5th and 6th grade.  I don't remember the girl's name who asked me to join the troop but I sure had a lot of fun.

Hiawatha
A few things I remember doing in Girl Scouts: earning badges, learning folk dancing and attending a festival, camping at Bothin in Marin County, camping in Sonora, backpacking, hiking up Mt. Diablo and camping, camping with skunks, having a tea party with our mothers, reciting the poem Hiawatha, and going to the state capital.

I was in Girl Scouting for just four years: two years as a Junior, and two years as a Cadette.  I regret now quitting after the end of 8th grade.  I was just afraid of the "leadership" responsiblities the 9th graders had and just wasn't mature enough to do that.

When my two daughters were old enough to join Girl Scouts, I was their leader.  Elizabeth made it to Cadettes and Margaret finished Cadettes, earning the Silver Award.  Sports and Drama in high school became their focus.

Camping in Sonora

I still am active with Girl Scouts.  I helped run a summer day camp for nearly 10 years.  I teach Girl Scout Leaders and parents how to take their troops camping.  And I teach classes at Discoveree. 

Camping in Sonora

Happy Birthday, Girls Scouts, and I hope you have 100 more good years.










Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments